Saturday, May 28, 2011

Step Three: Phone Interview [Part 1: Scheduling]

It's official! I'll be checking into my apartment in Lake Buena Vista next week!  It's unbelievable.  All of this talk and excitement is finally coming to fruition.  It's here! Almost, anyway.

But as for now, let's get back to talking about the application process.  I really hope all of this information helps someone someday.  Even if it's only one person.

If you've passed the Web-Based Interview, congratulations!  Engage in a huge sigh of relief.  Pat yourself on the back.  Have your roommate pat you on the back.  You deserve it!  That was stressful.  Now it's time to schedule a phone interview.  At the end of your web interview, you should have received a number and some instructions on how to call and schedule your phone interview.

Due to the fact that you schedule with a real person and not an automated service (at least as of 2011), you can only schedule during regular business hours.  I just so happened to complete my web interview in the evening, so I had to wait until the morning to call.  I was really nervous to even make that phone call, I didn't want to sound silly!  I gathered myself and made that phone call, and before I knew it I was conversing with a pleasant, relaxing voice and felt entirely at ease.  Scheduling my phone interview reminded me a lot of scheduling lunch with a friend or a dentists appointment.

PLEASANT FEMALE VOICE: We have a time open at 5:00PM EST on Friday, does that work for you?
MYSELF: Oh no, unfortunately I have an event to attend at that time.   Is there a time available the following day?
PLEASANT FEMALE VOICE: Yes, we have time slots open from 7:00PM until 9:00PM EST on that following Saturday, the 22nd.  Would perhaps 8:00PM work for you?
MYSELF: Yes! That works perfectly! Thank you very much!

Easy!

One tip in regards to this first call: be polite!  Polite manners include watching your tone and language, saying please and thank you, or even simply ask how the person is doing meaningfully.  This person is probably going to be on the phone all day with all of the applicants calling in, so a friendly caller could be quite refreshing!  You're more than likely not judged on this phone call, but it's always good to be in the habit of being polite and friendly. :)

Next time, I'll provide some tips on how to handle the real deal.  You can do it!

"I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known." - Walt Disney   

No comments:

Post a Comment